Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama

I think that I might be magnet for strange people. Weird things happen to me all the time. And, granted, sometimes this is my fault. I'm not sure I'm good with reactions. One time, a guy at the apartment complex I used to live in saw me getting out of my car and came up to me. He asked me if I'd wanna get a drink with him that night. Other than the fact that I'd never met or seen this guy before in my life, I suppose this wasn't too out of the ordinary. But I didn't know how to respond. I feel like saying "no, thanks," is kinda mean. So, instead, I just turned around and walked to my apartment with no response at all. I can't believe I did that. The poor guy asked me a question and I just walked away and ignored him completely. In that instance, I would be the strange, awkward one.


This past weekend I went with Eric Vinson and the Vinyls down to Madison, Alabama to play a street festival. It was quite an ordeal even getting into the place because by the time we arrived all the streets were blocked off. So we couldn't get the trailer anywhere near the stage. As we were standing around trying to come up with a plan of action, I heard someone say "Hey, Lindsey," behind me. Thinking it must be someone I knew (since they knew my name), I turned around excitedly only to find a strange man with a huge lizard on his shoulder. He got the lizard about 5 inches from me and started swinging the lizard tail in my face. I was so surprised that I'm almost 100% positive I made a really awkward sound. Some kind of a screech, I would imagine. I just know I was so caught off guard that I did not play it especially cool. I realize this is kinda one of those "you had to be there" sort of things, but please trust me. This was so weird. Eric and the other guys kept talking about it all day. They all agree it was one of the strangest human interactions they've ever seen. Despite that, though, the festival turned out to be a huge success.

I had searched for venues to play in Alabama and I found a "Top 10 Things To Do In Alabama" list. The Madison Street Festival was on it. They were so sweet and generous to us. So thank you, Madison. We really did love your festival, lizards and all. Oh, and there was one booth in particular that caught my eye. It had a huge sign that read, "Are You A Good Person Or A Bad Person? Take This Simple Test And Get A Free
Souvenir." I'm sad I did not take that test because I still don't know the answer :) And I really would have liked a free souvenir. Maybe next time. I wish we'd had more time to walk around but we had to get back to good 'ole Nashvegas in a hurry.


In other news, I've met some new friends that I'd like to introduce you to. Farewell Flight. They are an awesome band and you need to hear them. Don't forget!

That's all for now. I need to keep better track of all the strange things that happen to me. Does anyone else feel like they attract weirdness??

2 comments:

  1. Oh Linds. That lizard tale (ha) is hilarious! I saw it go down on Twitter and wondered what your context was. At least you always have good stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lindsey. Now I feel terrible ... you were playing all of a mile from my house and I didn't realize it!

    ReplyDelete