Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Community


I have a million "thank you's" and "I owe you's" to hand out. This past week I was humbled and completely blessed beyond belief. In my last blog post (about the Nashville flood), I talked a little bit about how I had been affected by the flood. It was NOTHING compared to the devastation that a lot of people experienced, but nevertheless, I found myself in need of a lot of help.

Saturday afternoon, I came home to the smell of mold and mildew. I knew I was in over my head. I had been naive (and a bit in denial) up to that point about how quickly things go south when your basement floods. So I started removing everything wet from my basement and got it all out of the house, but it didn't help a whole lot. I mentioned something on twitter about how not fun it was to work with wet, moldy boxes and I immediately got a message from a friend on twitter offering his assistance. Josh Laurich. I don't know Josh extremely well, but he is a good friend with one of my good friends...and I can't believe how willing he was to come over and help me. Actually, I can't even say that he "helped me." He did ALL the work. As I told Josh about my week and all the people that had come out of the woodwork to help me, I started getting a little emotional.

Will flew to Nashville to help me move last weekend. I know I look like a body builder, but believe it or not, I have a hard time carrying a 400 pound dresser all by myself. And my friends Ashley and Micah Huebner came to help me move, too. Micah and Will did all the work. And it was pouring! And flooding :) Then Ashley and Micah got stuck on 1-24 in the flood on their way home from helping me, and it took them 5.5 hours to get back to Smyrna.

Then my UHaul got stuck in the mud at my old house. Again, I know I'm really strong, but my muscles would not move that truck, no matter how hard I pushed. So my friends Rebekah and Ryan Mitchell came over with their little SUV and got it unstuck for me. Which left massive tire marks in the gravel and dirt/mud driveway of the house I'd been trying to move out of.

I thought I was pretty handy, so I went to Home Depot to buy some new gravel to fill the tire marks I'd created. But the bags were really heavy. Some man saw me trying to lift them into my car and rushed to my assistance. He did it for me.

Then I tried pouring the gravel I'd bought into the tire marks...but it didn't help at all. It just looked like I'd filled some holes with gravel. But there was still mud everywhere. The next door neighbor was out working in his yard, so I asked for his opinion on how I should handle the situation. In the 9 months I'd lived in that house, I'd never once spoken with my neighbor. He immediately went into his garage and brought back a rake and a shovel and got to work, fixing my yard for me. He did the work. No joke. I never would have been able to do what he did.

By this point, I was completely moved out of my old house with the exeption of a few items that were too large to fit in my car. Betsy Jones came to my rescue. I didn't even ask. She offered.

And then the mold in the new place became a problem. And that's when Josh Lauritch stepped in.

I was showered with kindness and generosity last week. As I was getting emotional and telling Josh about it, I realized that God was showing me how much He loves me and takes care of me through my community. Sometimes it's really tough to be a single girl, living in a city far away from my family. I still can't believe what an amazing community I am a part of. I am so grateful.

This crazy flood has really brought out the best in Nashville. Everyday there are hundreds and hundreds of volunteers that have taken the time to help out their neighbors...and even strangers. And if they aren't doing the manual labor, they're driving around with supplies and food and enouragement. It is such a beautiful thing to see. I love Nashville.

Anyway, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment