Saturday, August 8, 2009

Julia & Julie & Nicole


Yesterday I went with my amazing friends, Sam and Jess Tinnesz to see "Julia & Julie." Or maybe it's called "Julie & Julia." I can't remember. I do remember thinking that whichever the order of the names in the title goes, I thought it should have been the other way around. And now they both sound fine to me. So I can't remember. Regardless, I would like to highly recommend this movie. It was written and either produced or directed by Nora Ephron, who actually just wrote a book that I just finished reading ("I Feel Bad About My Neck"), so I'm realizing that I'm a big Nora Ephron fan. She is also responsible for "When Harry Met Sally" and "Sleepless In Seattle." But men, don't be worried...I don't think this is a chick flick.

I found myself really relating to the Julie character. There's this scene in the beginning of the movie where she's sitting at a table with a few of her girlfriends and it is so clear that her life has not gone the way she's intended it to. You need to go see the movie for yourself, but I'm not giving it away when I say that she finally finds something she's passionate about, which is cooking her way through a Julia Child cookbook. So the entire movie I kind of found myself thinking I should do the same thing. Which is not gonna happen. Twelve hours later I've come to my senses and realized that this could not and should not be where I focus myself. But it was nice to think about for awhile. And actually, Jess and I talked about maybe cooking our way through a cookbook together...but just once a week. Wouldn't that be fun? Am I old? I feel like that's something that old people do. My mom (who is NOT old) and her friend Shawn are taking two cooking classes next week and I am jealous. Maybe I need to hop on the bandwagon.

But this was my favorite part of last night's entertainment (besides the good company of my friends): Nicole Kidman. She sat right in front of us at the movie. I mean, this lady could have gone to the premier if she'd wanted to. But she chose to see it with me instead. I see country stars all the time...I've even seen Keith Urban...and I'm just not that impressed anymore. But I've always wanted to see a movie star. And my dream came true and it totally lived up to my expectations. She was everything I thought she'd be and more. You know how sometimes in pictures her skin looks so tight that she looks full of botox? She doesn't look like that in person - she looks absolutely gorgeous and youthful. And normal. I'm happy to report that Nashville must be an awesome place for a star to live because not ONE person stopped her during the movie or on her way out to her car for an autograph. I would know because I followed her out.

Nicole and I should really be friends. We have a lot in common. We're both really pale. We're both over Tom Cruise. We've both been to Australia. I like people with Australian accents. And we've both had an insane crush on Keith Urban at one point or another (I'm sorry to say she won). Maybe I'll talk to her the next time I see her and just pretend I don't know who she is :)

Well I'm off for the day. This should be a beautiful Saturday with friends. I think I'm going to the Tomato Festival. And if you're wondering what that is, I'm not sure, so I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting you say that you feel like Julie sitting at the brunch table with her girlfriends... because I feel the same. Funny, though, because I look to you and see someone who's really doing well and doing interesting, big things with her life... while most of the time I feel like a hot mess. :) If it is any comfort to you, friend, know that you are interesting and important and doing big things that inspire others...

    P.S. I LOVE that you saw Nicole. How amazing is that?!?!

    ReplyDelete